Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day 2008, Not Yet

Christmas III
John 21: 15-25

(End of the Four Gospels) 

After they had had held their meal together, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than the others here?

Grunewald
Peter answered, “Lord you know that I am your friend”.
Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

And he said to him again, a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?

Peter answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I am devoted to you.”

Jesus said to him, “Shepherd my young sheep.”

He asked him a third time, “Simon, Son of John, Are you my friend?”

Peter was heartbroken that he could say to him the third time, ‘Are you my friend’, and he answered, “Lord, you know all things; therefore you know that I am devoted to you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Amen the truth I say to you, when you were younger you girded yourself and walked wherever you wished. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands and Another will gird you and lead you where you do not wish to go.”

He told him this to indicate the kind of death by which he would bring the divine to revelation. Then he said to him, “Follow me.”

But Peter, turning, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved, following him. He was the one who had leaned upon his breast at the supper and had asked, “Lord, who is it who betrays you?”  When Peter now saw him, his asked, “Lord, what of this man, what is his task?”

Jesus said to him: If is my will that he remain until my coming, that does not affect your path. Follow me…”

From this day the story spread among the brethren that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until my coming, that does not affect your path.”


This is the disciple who here bears witness to these things and who has written all this. And we know that his testimony is true. There are also many other things that  Jesus did. If they were to be written down one by one, I do not think that the world itself could contain the books that would have to be written. 

Christmas III, Day
December 25, 2008
John 21: 15 -25

Mornings the sun rises and ascends ever higher. And as it ascends, it warms the earth. Life stirs, people wake up and move about their business.

This is the third Christmas Act of Consecration, the Service of Day. At midnight we celebrated the Light that overcomes darkness, bringing new life and hope. At dawn we celebrated the healing warmth of the Love that entered the earthly realm with the birth of the Christ Child.

And now it is Day. And in the full light of day-waking consciousness we hear, from the end of all the gospels, the Risen Christ’s own hope and warmth expressed for all of mankind. This hope, God’s hope, is framed in a question that rings out three times;

“Do you love Me?” John 21: 15 - 17

For He has been born; He lived, died and rose again – for our sake. He did so in order to implant divine love into human hearts. And now He peers into hearts and seeks for it there.  “Do you love Me? Did what I tried to implant in human hearts, a love-seed, take root?”

Arild Rosenkrantz
For, in the words of an early mystic:
In love did He bring the world
into being, and in love
does He guide its difficult
slow-seeming journey now
through the arc of time. In love will He
one day bring all the world to a wondrous,
transformed state, and utterly
in love will it be taken wholly up
into the great mystery of the One
who has performed these things—and all of this
so that in love absolutely will the course
and form and governance of all creation
at long last be comprised.[1]

There is a measure of birthing pain in today’s reading: the pain of the ‘not yet’. For we all, like Peter, deny the Christ in us. But just as Peter was given the opportunity to reaffirm and redirect his love, so too this year we are given a chance to start over; to say with our hearts and souls, as many times as He asks us: Yes, Lord, Your love is quickening in my heart. Yes, Lord, I am devoted to You. Yes, I will nourish and care for those, young and old, who are Your little ones.

www.thechristiancommunity.org




[1] St. Isaac of Nineveh (†700) “Love’s Purpose”, in Love’s Immensity, Mystics on the Endless Life, by Scott Cairns, p. 74.

No comments:

Post a Comment