Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day 2007, Find and Serve

Christmas III
John 21: 15-25

(The End of the Four Gospels)

After they had had held their meal together, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than the others here?

Peter answered, “Lord you know that I am your friend”.
Govert Flinck
Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

And he said to him again, a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?

Peter answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I am devoted to you.”

Jesus said to him, “Shepherd my young sheep.”

He asked him a third time, “Simon, Son of John, Are you my friend?”

Peter was heartbroken that he could say to him the third time, ‘Are you my friend’, and he answered, “Lord, you know all things; therefore you know that I am devoted to you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Amen the truth I say to you, when you were younger you girded yourself and walked wherever you wished. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands and Another will gird you and lead you where you do not wish to go.”

He told him this to indicate the kind of death by which he would bring the divine to revelation. Then he said to him, “Follow me.”

But Peter, turning, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved, following him. He was the one who had leaned upon his breast at the supper and had asked, “Lord, who is it who betrays you?”  When Peter now saw him, his asked, “Lord, what of this man, what is his task?”

Jesus said to him: If is my will that he remain until my coming, that does not affect your path. Follow me…”

From this day the story spread among the brethren that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until my coming, that does not affect your path.”

This is the disciple who here bears witness to these things and who has written all this. And we know that his testimony is true. There are also many other things that  Jesus did. If they were to be written down one by one, I do not think that the world itself could contain the books that would have to be written. 


Christmas III, Day
December 25, 2007
John 21.15-25 [the end of all the Gospels]


Today the future of all mankind shines into the beginning of Christ’s Incarnation. The One whose coming was announced to Joseph in a midnight dream has already risen from the dead. The One whose arrival was announced by angels to the shepherds has Himself become the Good Shepherd. And He wants to pour His Good Shepherd qualities into human hearts.

In devotion to Christ, out of our love for Him, we are to feed His lambs, shepherd His young sheep, feed His sheep. There may be spiritual ‘thieves and robbers’ at loose in the world, who use deception and desire to lure the soul. Yet three times He asks, “Do you love Me?” and three times we awaken to an ever deeper love. Deeper and deeper does His love for us, and ours for Him, pour into our hearts. He pours Himself into us until our hearts are full and our seeing is clear. And we know:

No one anywhere can keep us

From carrying the Beloved wherever we go.
No one can rob His precious Name [the Good Shepherd]
From the rhythm of [our] my heart[s]—
Steps and breath.[1]

But any unkindness to [ourselves] yourself,
Any confusion about others,
Will keep [us] one
From accepting the grace, the love,
The sublime freedom
Divine knowledge always offers….[2]

There are always friends of God in this world.
Find one and offer service.
For their glance is generous and cannot help
But forever give.[3]






[1] Hafiz, “Carrying God”, in Tonight the Subject is Love, Daniel Ladinsky, p. 53.
[2] Ibid. “This is the Place Where You are Right Now”, p. 12.
[3] Ibid. “Narrow the Difference”, p. 37.

No comments:

Post a Comment