Saturday, June 21, 2014

June Trinity 2007, Forever Give

White Rose, Dore
June Trinity
John 17: 6-11
Father, I have revealed your name and your being to all human beings whom you have led through destiny to me. They were yours; they lived out of the powers that worked in folk and family, and now you have given them to me, and into my working that lives in the Self, and they have kept your word in their inmost being. Thus they have recognized how all the spiritual power that you have given me truly proceeds from you; for all the creative spiritual power that you have given me, I have brought to them.
They have taken it up into themselves and have recognized that in truth I come from you, and they have gained insight, and trust that I have been sent by you. I pray to you for them as individual human beings; they who are to live out of the power of the self, as individuals, I pray to you for them; not for mankind in general, but for the human beings which you have given me. For they belong to you, just as everything which is mine is yours, and what is yours is mine, and the light of my being can shine in them [I am revealed in them]. I no longer live in the outer world, but they live in this world.
My whole being is devoted to you. And I am coming to you.  Holy Father, you who give healing to the world, keep in your name and in your being all whom you have given to me, so that they may be one even as we also are one. 

First Trinity Sunday
June 3, 2007
John 17: 6-11

Some types of roses grow in great clusters. Yet this form is created by the ordering of many smaller individual blossoms, each complete and unique in itself.        
          Mankind is a great cluster. Yet the Gospel reading emphasizes that Christ prays to His Father, not for the greater cluster, but for the single individuals who are close to Him. What is important to Him, that out of which He operates, is a relationship of love, active from both sides. He is a Divine Human Being, a Human Divine, who wants an intimately personal relationship with each of us.
          In recent years there appeared a collection of modern Christ experiences.[1] One recurring theme in these accounts was each person’s experience of being seen, known by Christ, and at the same time being deeply loved, in spite of His full awareness of their weaknesses or failings. The overriding experience was of being intimately known, loved and supported. Out of this experience of being known and loved by Christ, we in turn can learn to love others in a similar way.
          Before His total sacrifice of Himself out of His love, Christ prays to His Father: “Keep in your Name and in your Being all whom you gave given to me, so that they may be One, even as we are also One.” John 17:11
How can we be One? The poet suggests a way:

…narrow the gap
Between you and God.
I [we] have many younger brothers and sister
Scattered upon this earth
There are always friends of God in this world.
Find on and offer service
For their glance is generous and cannot help
But forever give. [2]





[1] C. Scott Sparrow, I Am With You Always: True Stories of Encounters with Jesus, Bantam Books, 1995.
[2] Hafiz, “Narrow the Difference,” in The Subject Tonight Is Love, collected by Daniel Ladinsky, p. 37.

No comments:

Post a Comment