Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas III, Day, December 25, 2014, Feed, Guide, Nourish

Christmas III
John 21: 15-25

Now is proclaimed the end of the entire gospel according to John in the 21st chapter:

After they had had held their meal together, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than the others here? Peter answered, “Lord you know that I am your friend”. Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”

And he said to him again, a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me? Peter answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I am devoted to you.” Jesus said to him, “Shepherd my young sheep.”

He asked him a third time, “Simon, Son of John, Are you my friend?” Peter was heartbroken that he could say to him the third time, ‘Are you my friend’, and he answered, “Lord, you know all things; therefore you know that I am devoted to you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Amen the truth I say to you, when you were younger you girded yourself and walked wherever you wished. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands and Another will gird you and lead you where you do not wish to go.”

He told him this to indicate the kind of death by which he would bring the divine to revelation. Then he said to him, “Follow me.”

But Peter, turning, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved, following him. He was the one who had leaned upon his breast at the supper and had asked, “Lord, who is it who betrays you?”  When Peter now saw him, his asked, “Lord, what of this man, what is his task?”

Jesus said to him: If is my will that he remain until my coming, that does not affect your path. Follow me…”

From this day the story spread among the brethren that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until my coming, that does not affect your path.”

This is the disciple who here bears witness to these things and who has written all this. And we know that his testimony is true. There are also many other things that Jesus did. If they were to be written down one by one, I do not think that the world itself could contain the books that would have to be written.

Christmas III, Day
December 25, 2014
John 21: 15-25

Christ came to earth as the seed of a new kind of human being. This new kind of human being is to rise in freedom above the compulsions of fear. It grows in the light of Truth. It perceives that the meaning of our existence on earth is to learn how to love.

Three times before the crucifixion, Peter had denied any relationship to Christ, the Being of Love. And after the resurrection, he is given the chance to redeem himself:  three times Christ asks him, ‘Do you love me?’ Peter is given instructions about the path of love: nourish and guide what is developing within those who are on the path of love. Feed my little ones; guide, shepherd the growing ones; feed the grown. Keep their evolving souls alive.
This is the task of the Peter who exists in all of us. Loving God means finding ways to support God’s growth within our fellow human beings; feeding and supporting their spirits, their soul, perhaps even their bodies. And we do so by being guided and fed by the one who called himself, whom we call, the Good Shepherd. For as the poet says:

Who shall keep thy sheep,
Lord, and lose not one?
Who save one shall keep,
Lest the shepherds sleep?
Who beside the Son?
The shepherds sing; and shall I silent be?
My God, no hymn for Thee?
My soul's a shepherd too; a flock it feeds
Of thoughts, and words, and deeds.
The pasture is Thy words; the streams, Thy grace
Enriching all the place.
Shepherd and flock shall sing, and all my powers
Out-sing the daylight hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment